[TACRAO] Listserv Legislative Update

Rexroat, Jodie jrexroat at mail.smu.edu
Mon Oct 16 09:44:22 CDT 2023

The third call session of the Texas Legislature continues this week.

Last week two additional bills were filed that we are following:

HB 139:  Relating to the offering of certain high school courses for which students may earn college credit.

SB 64:  Relating to the period for which an applicant for admission as an undergraduate student to a public institution of higher education is entitled to an academic fresh start.

The only bill that we are following that had movement this past week was SB 7 related to prohibiting COVID-19 vaccine mandates by private employers.  It was passed by the Senate and has moved to the House.

At the federal level, the battle for the speakership of the House is on-going and has all work halted.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in two weeks at TACRAO in Denton.

Join me for a Legislative Update session on Tuesday, Oct. 31st. at 9:20 a.m. in Pioneer I and II or you can also attend Legislative: Hot Topics also on Tuesday at 2:15 in Appaloosa.

Have a Legislative Topic you want to discuss either at the state or federal level?  Drop me a line and let me know at jrexroat at smu.edu<mailto:jrexroat at smu.edu>.

Jodie Rexroat
Manager, Degree Programs and Services
Division of Enrollment Services