[TACRAO] Listserv Legislative Update

Rexroat, Jodie jrexroat at mail.smu.edu
Mon Oct 23 09:54:57 CDT 2023

Sorry to suck all the excitement out of your Monday, after the Rangers forced a winner-take-all Game 7, tying up the series last night, but unfortunately the Legislative news is not as exciting as that.

No new bills were introduced this last week in the 3rd called session of the Texas Legislature that have bearing on higher education.  In addition, none of the bills we were already following have had any movement.

At the federal level, things are moving at the same snail's pace.  We are entering the fourth week without a Speak of the House after Rep. Jim Jordan removed himself from consideration following three failed votes last week.

The outlook for a comprehensive fiscal year funding package grows more dreary each day.  The continued resolution for federal funding will expire on November 17th and don't forget all appropriations bill need to be passed by the end of December in order to avoid further funding cuts.

The only good thing I have is the TACRAO conference is now less than one week away!  Look forward to seeing many of you there.

Join me for a Legislative Update session on Tuesday, Oct. 31st. at 9:20 a.m. in Pioneer I and II or you can also attend Legislative: Hot Topics also on Tuesday at 2:15 in Appaloosa.

Have a Legislative Topic you want to discuss either at the state or federal level?  Drop me a line and let me know at jrexroat at smu.edu<mailto:jrexroat at smu.edu>.

One more thing....[cid:image003.png at 01DA0596.FA7BEDB0]Go Rangers!

Jodie

Jodie Rexroat
Manager, Degree Programs and Services
Division of Enrollment Services