[TACRAO] Listserv TACRAO Honorary Member Joey Chandler

Thorn, Trevor ADM_STT at SHSU.EDU
Mon Sep 28 16:19:21 CDT 2020

Thank you for sharing this!  Joey was truly one of a kind.  I will echo what Jason Hale said as Joey loved the profession, giving students a chance at improving their future and of course steering them to Sam Houston State University if at all possible.

Joey also gave me my first job in Admissions and also gave me my introduction to my very first TACRAO held in College Station Texas.  At the reception she said "Trevor, I didn't know you were a drinker", to which my response was "I didn't know there was going to be free Shiner Bock!"  We were both a little miffed that they would not air the Cowboys game on the big screen that night.

Joey loved the Lord, loved her family, loved the Bearkats (and orange), and loved the Dallas Cowboys!  She groomed so many Admission professionals and touched so many lives throughout her career.  I will be forever grateful for the opportunities she gave me, for her friendship and guidance and for the lessons she taught me.  Joey was a true ambassador for the profession.  She will be missed by so many!

Trevor

[cid:image002.png at 01D695B3.1EDF17B0]

From: tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu <tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu> On Behalf Of Lothringer, Robert
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 12:53 PM
To: tacrao at tamuc.edu
Cc: 'hattman22 at yahoo.com' <hattman22 at yahoo.com>; 'mike.smith at ttuhsc.edu' <mike.smith at ttuhsc.edu>; 'WWWeaver at mail.com' <WWWeaver at mail.com>; 'troy.johnson at uta.edu' <troy.johnson at uta.edu>; 'Lothringer, Robert' <IMCEAEX-_O=TWURING_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=RLOTHRINGER at mail.smu.edu>; 'dkiser44 at gmail.com' <dkiser44 at gmail.com>; 'suzanne.carter at charter.net' <suzanne.carter at charter.net>; augustine.garza at utexas.edu; 'jharris at unt.edu' <jharris at unt.edu>; 'jje at rgv.rr.com' <jje at rgv.rr.com>; 'berrionealgormley at gmail.com' <berrionealgormley at gmail.com>; 'marcilla at unt.edu' <marcilla at unt.edu>
Subject: [TACRAO] Listserv TACRAO Honorary Member Joey Chandler

**External Email**
Dear TACRAO Community-

I am unfortunately tasked once again with informing you that another of our beloved honorary members has passed.  It is with a heavy heart to share with you that Joey Chandler, a longtime TACRAO member who was awarded honorary membership in 2009, passed away this past Friday, September 25th.  For those of us who started in this profession as recruiters, Joey was one of the stalwart fixtures who unofficially mentored us newbies just as Dana Ransom and Marty Grassel had done.

After receiving her BS from East Texas State University, now known as Texas A&M University - Commerce, and while completing her MS at East Texas, she served as a School Relations Advisor from 1977 to 1979.  Quickly advancing in our profession, from 1979 through 1984 she was the Director of School Relations at Trinity Valley Community College.  In 1984 she moved to Sam Houston State University as Assistant Director of Admissions/Recruitment and later in 1992 she became the Director of Undergraduate Admissions.  Joey completed her career as Director of Sam Houston State's Visitor Center.

Joey's TACRAO service began almost immediately when she started her first position back in 1977, as she served the organization at annual meetings as recorder, moderator, facilitator, presenter and committee member on several program committees. She was appointed to serve on a number of standing committees including Strategic Enrollment Management, High School Relations, and Local Arrangements.  She chaired the Undergraduate Admissions Program committee in 1985-86.

Our condolences are with our Sam Houston State colleagues and all of those whose lives were touched by this remarkable member of our profession.

Sincerely,

Bobby Lothringer
2019-2020 President
Texas Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers (TACRAO)
www.tacrao.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tacrao.org&d=DwMFAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=cy3U_sA-l695BsXQ2gEPRfzZUUsJ0zDrfLIT-3BmNJo&s=n4x9egAX9fQuEP2zlBeK2LJzzx0z73Y6O0uInFZkIeI&e=>
rlothringer at smu.edu<mailto:rlothringer at smu.edu>
[2020 Logo - updated 8-2019]