[TACRAO] Listserv Blocking Access to Grades in SIS

Justin Schilke jschilke at rice.edu
Thu Nov 5 10:25:43 CST 2020

We restrict access to grades (via a hold) while our course/instructor
evaluations are in progress. The basic process looks like:

1.       Course/instructor evaluation period opens

2.       Students are restricted from seeing grades until

a.       All evaluations are completed by the student or

b.       The course/instructor evaluation period ends.

3.       Once the evaluation period ends, the student can see all grades for
their courses, even if they did not submit the evaluations.

We also restrict access to Degree Works while that hold is on so that
students cannot see their grades through Degree Works.

We do this so that the student's grades don't come into a positive/negative
evaluation. (Most courses use Canvas though, so students should be familiar
with their grade before it ends up in the SIS, so I'm unsure how effective
our practice is. It does, however, push response rates for the evaluations
into the 90% area though.)

Although we've never had this, if we were to get a request to view records
under FERPA, our evaluation period is shorter than 45 days, so it would be
open in time for the FERPA access requirement.

Justin Schilke

Senior Associate Registrar

Office of the Registrar / Rice University

ph: 713-348-3157 / fax: 713-348-5921

 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__registrar.rice.edu_&d=DwICAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=b6yvy6FJ3daBzsf0eznXVOBI_tBiTNQ10z0raoVGO6Q&s=SOTFKmyCw8ma0On0FAC1hB97mEwTK8daWyAK_WuqZzU&e= > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__registrar.rice.edu_&d=DwICAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=b6yvy6FJ3daBzsf0eznXVOBI_tBiTNQ10z0raoVGO6Q&s=SOTFKmyCw8ma0On0FAC1hB97mEwTK8daWyAK_WuqZzU&e=

Information contained in this message may be confidential and privileged and
protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).
If so, this information is being shared with the addressee(s) because of a
legitimate educational interest.  Any re-disclosure must be done in
accordance with FERPA.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of
the contents of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify me at the contact information above.

Please take time to fill out our survey and let us know how we are doing:
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__registrar.rice.edu_feedback_&d=DwICAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=b6yvy6FJ3daBzsf0eznXVOBI_tBiTNQ10z0raoVGO6Q&s=rrSceuKsjf3t8ZZE74c6x7jpdwV7h7HK45pvq7yhEDo&e= > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__registrar.rice.edu_feedback_&d=DwICAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=b6yvy6FJ3daBzsf0eznXVOBI_tBiTNQ10z0raoVGO6Q&s=rrSceuKsjf3t8ZZE74c6x7jpdwV7h7HK45pvq7yhEDo&e= .

 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_justinschilke&d=DwICAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=b6yvy6FJ3daBzsf0eznXVOBI_tBiTNQ10z0raoVGO6Q&s=d4qk5XrGOpXBGtD0Wr1a4dyrGAMlBPOeORm17ui5eQE&e= >