[TACRAO] Listserv Online Registration

Sandra Clay sclay at jacksonville-college.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:29:55 CDT 2016

At Jacksonville College, we require all degree-seeking students to visit
with an academic advisor the first time they register.  Only after they
complete the first semester may they register themselves online.  And only
if they have no holds on their accounts.

No dual credit, transient, or non-degree students may register themselves
at any time.  The rationale for the first two categories is that they are
not OUR students.  They are high school students under the supervision of
their counselor who must approve what they are taking, or they are
degree-seeking at another school in which case that school should have as
much oversight as it wants to have.

We limit non-degree students to 14 hours total; after that, they have to be
fully admitted as degree-seeking students since non-degree is essentially a
"pick-up" category for prereqs or summer work.  Requiring them to come
through us allows us to manage that limit without further holds, etc.

Online students may fall into any of those categories, so our policy
doesn't address registration for online students as a separate category.
Because we have just been approved to offer more than 49% of our degree
online, we are beginning the discussion about purely online degree-seeking
students, but haven't come to any sort of conclusions yet.

While anything is subject to change, this has worked well for us.

*Sandra Clay*
*Director of Admissions*
*Jacksonville College*
*903.589.7110*