[TACRAO] Listserv Question

Lothringer, Robert rlothringer at mail.twu.edu
Fri Apr 8 16:00:30 CDT 2016

Cassandra-

Once the student enrolls in postsecondary/higher education level work, no matter their age or current status, then the FERPA rights that were shared between the student and parent transfer solely to the student.  Now once the course enrollment/grade gets recorded back on the high school transcript, then technically the parents have access to see as part of the high school record, but not until then.  Otherwise, the college record is like any other college student's record...parents can only have access if the student provides a signed, written release or the parents have proof of dependency for income tax purposes.

What we do at TWU to avoid the whole mess is have the students sign a FERPA release as part of their dual-credit paperwork that allows us to share their dual-credit enrollment/record with their parents and high school counselor.

Hope that helps.

Bobby Lothringer
University Registrar
Texas Woman's University