[TACRAO] Listserv Transfer Equivalency

Castro, Barbara Barbara.Castro at lsus.edu
Mon Mar 3 10:37:00 CST 2014

We are not a Banner school, but this is our policy:

The only time that we would equate two separate courses as the same
course in transfer is if at the other institution the student cannot
earn credit for both courses.  In which case, if the student took both
courses at the other institution it would count as repeated when it
transferred and credit would not be granted for both courses.

In the case where our institution has one course and the other
institution has two courses that together have equivalent content to our
one course  we would transfer the second half of the course as
equivalent and the first half as elective credit.  For example:  our
institution has one algebra course and the other university covers the
same content with two courses (Algebra I and II).  Algebra I would be a
Math elective and Algebra II would transfer in as our Algebra.

When you equate two or more courses from another institution as the same
course in transfer at your institution you will invariably come across a
student who has taken all of those courses.  At that point the student
will not be happy and the same faculty member who told you that those
courses were all the same will then tell you that they are not the same
[Voice of experience].  That is why our policy is, now, that we will not
equate two courses as the same unless the other institution counts them
as the same course (cannot earn credit for both).

Hope this helps.

Barbara Castro