[TACRAO] Listserv [External] Community College Question: Bad addresses

Irene Robinson IRobinson at alvincollege.edu
Tue Jun 1 13:04:13 CDT 2021

See below for Alvin CC.

From: TACRAO <tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu> On Behalf Of Martinez, Jerry
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 12:44 PM
To: tacrao at tamuc.edu
Subject: [External] [TACRAO] Listserv Community College Question: Bad addresses

Question for colleges that have lower rate of tuition based on students living in the taxing district.

When you identify an invalid/bad address based on return mail or other means:

  *   Do you place a hold preventing registration/transcripts/etc.?

(this is something I have a hard time understanding since a valid isn't required to be enrolled, per se, and if their tuition rate is defaulted to a higher rate, so be it)

We place them on a bad address hold that does restrict registration.  Our rationale is that their residential address is in most cases the same as their residential address and that is used for determining residency classification for tuition.

  *   Does your SIS allow you to flag 'bad address' without making any changes in your SIS but resolves the return mail issue?

     *   If not, what is your approach?

We could enter 'bad address' on the actual address line if we mark it according to the Runner Tech-Clean Address protocol; however, it would not resolve the return mail issue for us.

  *   How do you approach bad address that are in the taxing district and the potential issue of the student paying a lower rate with a bad address?

We wouldn't technically get into this issue since we place the bad address hold and student can't register.

All of our processes may seem a bit critical to others, but we did an address analysis several years ago and found too many residential address discrepancies that made our administration to believe that we were missing out properly collecting the correct out-district tuition/fees.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jerry

Jerry Martinez | Director of Admissions and Registrar | Brazosport College
Phone: 979.230.3221 | Fax 979.230.3376 | Email jerry.martinez at brazosport.edu<mailto:jerry.martinez at brazosport.edu>
500 College Drive | Lake Jackson, TX 77566
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D756E6.5503FAF0]