[TACRAO] Listserv Required Suspension Course for Dual Credit

Britt Sabota bsab at tjc.edu
Wed Jan 15 09:44:45 CST 2020

**External Email**

Hello, all.

Our general academic policy requires students who are returning from academic suspension to enroll in RISE 0300, an academic support course in their first term of re-enrollment. As we are all aware, SB 1091 from the 85th leg. places certain limitations on dual credit offerings with language like:

A course offered for joint high school and junior college credit under this section must be:

(1)    in the core curriculum of the public junior college;
(2) a career and technical education course; or
(3) a foreign language course.

I am of the opinion that dual credit students must comply with ALL general academic policies and this course is not an issue because 1. We are not submitting this course for formula funding; and 2. It's not technically a joint course offered-it is a course required for their continued enrollment at our institution. What is the overall feeling of this group on this topic?

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Britt Sabota
Registrar
Office of the Registrar
903.510.3052
[TJC Logo]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tjc.edu_&d=DwMFAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=REyWmOH5lPvDByhMk-wVL3vPkYGtxku_B_681oPnAMc&s=G-g550ngUH9Ys2TrEM8nWWVcMja1D04MzMXL6DmxySU&e=>

PO Box 9020, Tyler, TX 75711
1400 East Fifth St., Tyler, TX 75798