[TACRAO] Listserv Legit Honor Society?

Betsy Gooding bgooding at ntcc.edu
Wed Oct 9 09:28:44 CDT 2019

**External Email**

Good morning, my TACRAO friends!

I've had an open records request from the National Society for Leadership and Success (NSLS). The organization would like to obtain directory information for any students who have a GPA of 3.33 or higher so that they can contact these students to extend a membership invitation for the low, low price of $80. I provided something similar to them last spring, but then received a slew of emails from students and from some faculty members questioning the legitimacy of the organization and providing me with copies of the email that showed they were making it appear that they were somehow affiliated with our college. Hard lesson learned.

I've always held the belief that if our institution receives an open records directory request, we are bound by law to provide the information requested as long as the student has not requested a block on the release of his/her information. Other than the very questionable appropriation of our institution's name in their marketing, do I have any legal standing to deny the request? And do any of you have actual local chapters of this organization on your campus (as they claim on their website)?

Would love to get some feedback. I've been sitting on this request for a couple of days, trying to decide how to handle.

Happy Wednesday! :)

Betsy Gooding
Registrar
PO Box 1307, Mount Pleasant, TX 75456-1307
(903) 434-8139 - Office
[NTCClogo-horizontal-withbrand]