[TACRAO] Listserv Preferred/Chosen vs Legal Name and Gender Pronouns

Kathy Williams Kathy.Williams at tamut.edu
Mon Oct 1 15:37:11 CDT 2018

I'm interested in learning how other schools deal with gender identity matters in their Student Information System (we're a Banner school).  We recently had the president of our LGBTQ+ student organization complain that one of their instructors continues to use their "dead name" in class, rather than their chosen name they began using after their transition, despite being asked several times to stop using their "dead name".  The instructor is using the name on the class roster (the student's legal name), which is the name the student considers their "dead name".  Has your institution dealt with a similar situation?  If so, do you have a solution to ensure that the class roster pulls the student's chosen name, rather than their legal name?

Also, Banner only has three options for gender: male, female, and none.  However, it's my understanding that the Coordinating Board requires that schools report either male or female, and will not allow reports submitted with "none" as the gender.  In the diverse world in which we live today, there are now gender-neutral pronouns (Zie, Hir, they, them, their).  Do you have a way to record a student's preferred pronoun in Banner, and is there a way to ensure that pronoun is included on the class roster so that gender-neutral students are addressed by their preferred pronoun?

Vice President of Student Enrollment, Engagement, & Success
kathy.williams at tamut.edu<mailto:kathy.williams at tamut.edu>
Phone:  903.223.3182

7101 University Avenue
University Center, Suite 260