[TACRAO] Listserv Withdrawal Process and Return to Title IV

McDonald, Hannah K h.mcdonald at tamuct.edu
Tue Apr 24 08:33:36 CDT 2018

Good morning Troy,

Our answers below in red.

Hannah McDonald
University Registrar
Texas A&M University-Central Texas
1001 Leadership Place|Killeen, Tx 76549
Founder's Hall Rm 108 |254.519.5454

h.mcdonald at tamuct.edu<mailto:h.mcdonald at tamuct.edu>
Office of the Registrar<http://www.tamuct.edu/departments/registrar/index.php>

[Schedule Planner Email]

From: tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu <tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu> On Behalf Of Troy G. White
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:12 AM
To: tacrao at tamuc.edu
Subject: [TACRAO] Listserv Withdrawal Process and Return to Title IV

Good morning TACRAO...I am resending this email this morning as I realized I sent it at quitting time yesterday!  If anyone has a required attendance policy at your institution, I would really love to hear how you handle the withdrawal process, given the 14-day rule and the deadlines FA has to comply with regarding the return of funds.

Thank you for your input!

Troy

This email is for my colleagues with an institutional attendance policy...

1.       What is your course withdrawal process? Students must request a withdrawal through the Registrar's Office. The Registrar's Office processes the withdrawal on the date they receive the documentation, unless medical information was provided to use a different date.

2.       How is the "Last Date of Attendance" captured? Once the withdrawal is processed through Banner, we have a trigger that sends an email to each faculty member and the student. Here is a sample of the email.

                      Dear Timothy Woodcock,

                      Spring 2018

                      This email is to notify you that FIRST LAST has dropped your 10428 COSC 3360 on 04/18/2018 through the Registrar's Office.

                       You will need to report the student's last date of attendance. This is an important verification of eligibility for the student to receive Title IV

                       financial assistance.

                       To do this, please copy and paste the text below, add it to a new email message, update the

                       student's last date of attendance, and send the email to records at tamuct.edu<mailto:records at tamuct.edu>.

                                  This email is to establish the last date of attendance for FIRST LAST in the Spring 2018 10428 COSC 3360 class.

                                  The student last attended this course [Enter student's last date of attendance] .

                       Thank you,

                       The Office of the Registrar

                       Texas A&M University-Central Texas

                       1001 Leadership Place, Killeen, TX 76549

                       Founder's Hall Rm 108

                       P: 254.501.5857

                       F: 254.519.5486

                       E: records at tamuct.edu<mailto:records at tamuct.edu>

The instructor then responds with the last bit of the email, and we update the last date of attendance on SFAALST in Banner. This is also where grades are added.

3.       How do you ensure Financial Aid compliance with Return to Title IV policies that they are doing so within their deadlines?  In other words, how do you keep students from holding on to the withdrawal request for two months after their actual last date of attendance?  We send the email that the instructor returns to the records email to Financial Aid. We use initial attendance and end of term attendance for all of our students. Faculty have caught on that reporting attendance is a big deal, and usually report students who have not attended their classes in a while. We are also implementing Starfish which will be used to notify FinAid if someone has not been attending class.
There are always a few students who do not officially withdrawal, and we have the instructors add a last date of attendance when submitting final grades. Any grade of an F, or I (Incomplete), needs a last date of attendance. It is my understanding that we have been in compliance when doing this.

In Pursuit of Him,
[Signature]
Troy G. White, M.Ed.
University Registrar
One Tiger Drive, Marshall, TX 75670
903-923-2060

[etbu logl]

Confidentiality Notice:  This email message, including files and attachments, is intended only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or personal information.  Individual recipients of this email message are expected to honor the internal and confidential nature of the email and not forward it via the Internet or by any other means to persons who are not listed as addresses without proper authorization.  If you are not an intended recipient of this email, do not save, disclose, print, forward or copy this email, and delete it immediately.  Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the recipient is unauthorized and may be a violation of federal and/or state law and regulations.