[TACRAO] Listserv Right to Inspect Records under FERPA

Henry, Debbie daherman at Central.UH.EDU
Tue Jun 14 13:17:01 CDT 2016

Good Morning TACRAOans,

Our General Counsel has asked me to survey the TACRAO community to see what other schools' policies are related to complying with students requests to inspect educational records. The information that we have online doesn't indicate whether the records can be mailed or must be inspected in person. Therein lies the issue; we've received a request from an out-of-state 3rd party requesting on the former student's behalf. I'm not inclined to grant the request.

If you would be so kind as to send me a link to your policy/procedure I'd be most appreciative.

UH catalog language:
Procedure to Inspect Education Records

A student has the right to inspect his or her educational records and to challenge the contents. To review records, a student must make a request in writing to the Custodian of those records. (See Custodians of Records<http://catalog.uh.edu/content.php?catoid=14&navoid=3570&hl=%22ferpa%22&returnto=search#Custodians_of_Records> below.) The written request must identify as precisely as possible the record or records he or she wishes to inspect.

Debbie A. Henry
University Registrar

Office of the University Registrar (OUR)
         OUR Team is focused on yOUR Success!
5000 Gulf Fwy, Bldg 2, Houston, Texas 77204-2027
[cid:image007.jpg at 01D1C63F.09AA9AB0]832-842-5786  |  [cid:image008.png at 01D1C63F.09AA9AB0]  713.743.9050  |   [cid:image009.jpg at 01D1C63F.09AA9AB0]  dahermann at uh.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. University policy restricts the dissemination of certain data and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.