[TACRAO] Listserv Joint Services Transcript (JST)

Sandra Clay sclay at jacksonville-college.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:35:12 CDT 2016

Since Jacksonville College currently has no policy on non-traditional
credit, I can't speak from that perspective, but from registrar experience
at prior schools, this is how I would approach the decision.

Your primary question is whether your policy on non-traditional credit
accepts ACE-reviewed and recommended training and/or experience.  If so,
then the secondary question is whether *your policy* limits it to
military.  If not, determine what documentation you require.

If you do accept ACE-recommended credit and you don't limit it to military
experience and training, then accepting it is simple. The JST is the same
document that recommendations for military credit comes on.

ACE has reviewed and issued guidelines for recommended credit on MANY
civilian training programs, not just military.  If your policy limits
acceptance to military experience and training, you may want to consider
expanding it.  If you have a limit on the number of hours of non-trad
credits that can apply to a degree, you won't hurt your programs by doing
so, but it would expand options for your non-traditional students who have
recognizable life experience and skills, some more applicable to an
educational major than military experience.

Just my approach.  I'll be interested to see others' perspective.

Sandra

*Sandra Clay*
*Director of Admissions*
*Jacksonville College*