[TACRAO] Listserv Matching records with names

Irene Robinson IRobinson at alvincollege.edu
Tue May 5 09:51:57 CDT 2015

In most of our cases, the last name is different (marriage, divorce, adoption, etc.) and those are easily reconciled if/when the student discloses their former name on the application.  However, I have had a student who had the full name and gender changed and I required documentation.

In your case, when the entire name is different, how do you know which document is the correct one; the transcript with the same SSN or the application with the same SSN – how can you be sure this is not an identity theft situation.

To safeguard yourself/institution and the identity of the student, I would require to see a legal document indicating the name change and use it to reconcile the records.

Hope this helps.

Irene M. Robinson
Registrar
Alvin Community College