[TACRAO] Listserv Matching records with names

Jacqueline Hefley jhefley at austinseminary.edu
Tue May 5 09:29:56 CDT 2015

Occasionally, we have a student apply (and matriculate) who reports a name in the application that has no connection to names on transcripts from previous schools.
The SSNs (when available) on the transcripts match the self-reported SSN in the application, but the names, first, middle, and last, on those transcripts, do not match the full name in the application.

Do any of you ask for a record of the name change? In this case, if there were any way to connect the old names with the current name (e.g., mapping the name changes through the documents), I wouldn't worry.
And, in this case, there might be a court order documenting the change. Or, the student could have rebranded herself by informally taking on a new name. Do you ask for documentation to determine whether the change was legal?

Thanks.

Jacqueline D. Hefley
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and Registrar
AUSTIN PRESBYTERIAN THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
100 E. 27th Street, Austin, Texas 78705
512-404-4826 |P| 512-479-0738 |F|
austinseminary.edu