[TACRAO] Listserv Secondary Transcripts for International Students

Townsend, Sonia Sonia.Townsend at sjcd.edu
Mon May 4 12:27:07 CDT 2015

Thanks

From: tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu [mailto:tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu] On Behalf Of Sandra Clay
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 12:11 PM
To: tacrao at tamuc.edu
Subject: Re: [TACRAO] Listserv Secondary Transcripts for International Students

Brenda,

What I'm looking for is evidence that the student has "successfully completed secondary education" in their own country.  That means different things in different countries.  In countries where earning the secondary certificate is based, not on what was studied, but on what competence exams were passed, the transcript seems irrelevant.

My basic guideline is to ask for the documents listed on the WES document requirement webpage for the student's specific country.  Then if know the requirements of that particular country, I may require only the exam scores.

 *   For example, I require NIgerian candidates to provide their scratch card log-in to the West African Examination Council (WAEC) webpage so I can view and print their scores directly from that database.  That serves two purposes:  there is no possibility for fraud, and it is fast and secure.
 *   For Trinidad/Tobago, a student must pass at least 5 subjects with two of them being English and math to earn the general secondary certificate, so if I have the CXC score report showing that standard met, then I don't need to see either the transcripts or actual certificate - they clearly have met the requirements of their own education system.
 *   For countries I'm less familiar with, I hold to whatever WES requires.
This is just my perspective.  I'll be very interested to see the response of others.

Sandra

Sandra Clay
Director of Admissions
Jacksonville College