[TACRAO] Listserv Secondary Transcripts for International Students

Sandra Clay sclay at jacksonville-college.edu
Mon May 4 12:10:55 CDT 2015

Brenda,

What I'm looking for is evidence that the student has "successfully
completed secondary education" in their own country.  That means different
things in different countries.  In countries where earning the secondary
certificate is based, not on what was studied, but on what competence exams
were passed, the transcript seems irrelevant.

My basic guideline is to ask for the documents listed on the WES document
requirement webpage for the student's specific country.  Then if know the
requirements of that particular country, I may require only the exam
scores.

   - For example, I require NIgerian candidates to provide their scratch
   card log-in to the West African Examination Council (WAEC) webpage so I can
   view and print their scores directly from that database.  That serves two
   purposes:  there is no possibility for fraud, and it is fast and secure.
   - For Trinidad/Tobago, a student must pass at least 5 subjects with two
   of them being English and math to earn the general secondary certificate,
   so if I have the CXC score report showing that standard met, then I don't
   need to see either the transcripts or actual certificate - they clearly
   have met the requirements of their own education system.
   - For countries I'm less familiar with, I hold to whatever WES requires.

This is just my perspective.  I'll be very interested to see the response
of others.

Sandra

*Sandra Clay*
*Director of Admissions*