[TACRAO] Listserv Core complete

Jeffrey Rhodes jeff.rhodes at utrgv.edu
Fri Jun 12 13:09:37 CDT 2015

When we implemented DegreeWorks, we discovered that there was no way to automate core completion if a student completed the core at another Texas institution.  And the problem is even bigger when the core at the originating institution differs from ours.  As a result, in our localization, we added the core complete date from SZAPGMS to the student data header.

This provides us a flag to indicate to the advisor that the core was completed elsewhere.

Next, because there may still be missing coursework in the core, we have to manually force complete the core and/or post substitutions.

In order to ensure that the degree plans are up to date, we have a team of student workers, and one of their tasks is to run a list of students who have had a core complete date entered in SZAPGMS within the past week.  They then log in to DegreeWorks and post the core completion and update the student's degree plan.

Yes, it's manual, but it also allows us to make sure that DegreeWorks is operating well.  We are able to catch issues, usually before we hear from advisors "DegreeWorks isn't working."  And as I reminded our advisors, DegreeWorks is a course selection tool.  It is NOT intended to replace the advisor or the critical eye of a program auditor in the Registrar's Office.

JHR

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D0A511.07AC8C00]
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
RIO GRANDE VALLEY

UTRGV.EDU

Jeff Rhodes, Ed.D.
University Registrar
956-665-7123 * jeff.rhodes at utrgv.edu

Brownsville * Edinburg * Harlingen

Run with perseverance the race set before you!