[TACRAO] Listserv FERPA vs Power of Attorney

McGilvray, Amy AMcGilvray at umhb.edu
Thu Jun 11 11:36:47 CDT 2015

I apologize if the answer to my questions should be obvious, but I would sincerely appreciate your input.

Scenario:  A student's husband contacts the Bursar's Office inquiring about his wife's refund check.  The husband is informed that, without the student's authorization, FERPA prevents the Bursar's Office from discussing such matters with him.  The husband tells the Bursar's Office he has a power of attorney for his wife.  (FYI - The student/wife is not deployed nor incapacitated.)  The husband is instructed to submit a copy of the power of attorney for review.

My question:  Is a power of attorney sufficient for the release of FERPA-protected information?  Does sufficiency depend on the wording of the document?  If so, for what verbiage should we be looking?

Amy McGilvray '93, MBA '97
Registrar
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
UMHB Box 8425
900 College Street
Belton TX 76513
254-295-5077 (Office)
254-295-5052 (Fax)

[http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KL5NxRS7sqY/Tjac52rFmpI/AAAAAAAAALw/WSL46Vc1ArA/s1600/Facebook_icon.jpg]<https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/UMHB-Registrars-Office/137217316311826>

[Tagline-Single-Purple]
****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE****
This message and any file attachments may contain confidential information and is intended only for the named individual(s). If you are not the named individual(s) you are strictly prohibited from disseminating, distributing, or copying this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. The sender expressly reserves all privileges and confidentiality which might otherwise be waived as a result of an erroneous or misdirected transmission. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of University of Mary Hardin-Baylor or any affiliated entity with another party by email without express written confirmation by an authorized agent of University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. www.umhb.edu<http://www.umhb.edu/>