[TACRAO] Listserv De-Identified Release of Student Records

Lothringer, Robert rlothringer at mail.twu.edu
Mon Aug 10 15:05:44 CDT 2015

If the personally identifiable information is redacted, and the total number is not so small as to make indirect identification feasible, then you could release it and be FERPA compliant.  But you have to ensure you aren't releasing other information along with it that, when put all together, could end up identifying the student or students.

For example, if the group of students is five students all of the same major, and everyone knows that major only has those five students, then no, I would not release it.  I would especially not release it if the list contained even more information like gender and previous school.  Because then you care essentially giving them enough information to figure out who got what grade.

If the group is 50 freshmen in a developmental course, with nothing else included, then I probably would.

It's a gray area, and it's a judgement call.  You just have to feel confident that what you cumulatively release can't be used to identify the students.

Hope that helps.

Bobby Lothringer
University Registrar
Texas Woman's University