[TACRAO] Listserv De-Identified Release of Student Records

Matthew S. Hebbard mshebbar at southtexascollege.edu
Mon Aug 10 14:56:54 CDT 2015

Good afternoon TACRAOans,

Does anyone know if de-identification of PII permits the release of non-directory information under FERPA?  Specifically, can we release grades for groups of students to a third party if the PII is removed?

My answer is no due to FERPA and the fact that grades are part of the student record and requires written consent unless it falls under an exception such as audit/evaluation.  This request does not.

Thank you for your insights,

Matt

Matthew S. Hebbard
Dean of Enrollment Services and Registrar
South Texas College
3201. W. Pecan
McAllen, TX 78501
956.872.2147 (Office)