[TACRAO] Listserv Texas Residency for Military

Matranga, Winston C Winston.Matranga at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Apr 29 15:09:06 CDT 2015

Good Afternoon Everyone,

               I am hoping for some input on a military residency question. I have a spouse of a military member (member is stationed out of state in the reserves), who is asking if she qualifies for resident in-state tuition based on the Texas Education Code 54.241 (g), http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=405. She will not be using federal or state VA/military educational benefits.

The provided link will take you to the College for All Texans webpage that has a blurb about this rule and further links to the entire text.

"(g)  If a member of the Armed Forces of the United States is stationed outside Texas and the member's spouse or child establishes residence in Texas by residing in Texas and by filing with the Texas institution of higher education at which the spouse or child plans to register a letter of intent to establish residence in Texas, the institution of higher education shall permit the spouse or child to pay the tuition, fees, and other charges provided for Texas residents without regard to length of time that the spouse or child has resided in Texas."

               The student is the spouse of a reserve military member and we are trying to figure out how this rule applies to her situation. The rule seems to indicate that the spouse needs to affirm she wants to become a resident and she will be granted in-state tuition with a waiver. Our hesitation stems from the idea that this rule seems to contradict all the other rules in place within the Texas Education Code for active military and veterans.

               Your guidance and input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Winston

Winston Matranga
Veterans Affairs Coordinator

[UTH_2c+uthsch_hor_lrg]
Office of the Registrar |
PO Box 20036 | Houston, Texas 77225, or
7000 Fannin | Suite 2250 | Houston, Texas 77030
Office: 713.500.3351

[Branch Flags Signature]