[TACRAO] Listserv First time in college

Hess, Ms. Cynthia A. HESS at tarleton.edu
Fri Apr 17 13:04:48 CDT 2015

Good Friday afternoon,

First, I apologize for the long question, but I am seeking clarification to the definition of First-time Student (Freshman, FTIC).  I realize the answers appear to be simple; however, I also included the definition from the IPEDS glossary for your reference.

In regards to first time in college students, please clarify how your institution codes the following:

*        High school student with college hours applying prior to high school graduation - we code as a FTIC, Freshman

*        High school with college hours applying prior to high school graduation but also taking hours after high school graduation prior to attending your institution in the fall - we currently process them as FTIC, Freshman

*        High school graduate with college hours prior to high school graduation and no college hours after high school graduation - FTIC, Freshman

*        High school graduate with college hours prior to high school graduation and college hours after high school graduation - Currently Transfer

I found this definition in the IPEDS glossary.  Does anyone have clarification to the text which states, "It also includes students enrolled in the fall term who attended college for the first time in the prior summer term..."  This leads me to believe that any student who takes summer courses prior to attending in the fall would be first-time students.  This is easy for students who attend the same institution in summer and fall; but what about the student who may attend separate institutions right after high school in summer and fall.   It seems the student would be reported as first time from both schools.

[cid:image003.png at 01D078FD.5443C190]

The real issue here is we have a student who is currently in high school with 39 hours and wants to attend one of our off-campus locations which requires a student to have 30 hours.  Since his hours are prior to high school graduation, we told him he would need to attend the main campus for FTIC.  The question arose as to whether he could take a summer class and change his fall status to transfer so that he could attend the off-campus location.  Would he then be a FTIC at the summer institution and a FTIC for the fall institution or a FTIC at the summer and a Transfer for the fall?  We have had the same procedure for years but are now questioning it due to this situation.

I thank you all in advance for helping me through this madness of students taking college credit prior to high school graduation.

In the spirit of baseball season, I feel like I have just repeated a rendition of "Who's on first."  Have a good weekend.

Cindy

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE9849.2C7961B0]

Cindy Hess
Director of Admissions
hess at tarleton.edu<mailto:hess at tarleton.edu>  |  www.tarleton.edu<http://www.tarleton.edu/>
P: (254) 968-9123 |F: (254) 968-9951
Box T-0030, Stephenville TX 76402

      Empathy  |  Developer  |  Includer  |  Connectedness  |  Responsibility
StrengthsQuest(tm)