[TACRAO] Listserv Registration while prerequisite is in progress

Lorena Rios lorenar at laredo.edu
Thu May 1 10:50:28 CDT 2014

Hi Andi,
Answers for your questions are listed below.  Hope this helps!!!

How many colleges allow students to register for courses that require a prerequisite but the prerequisite is in progress at another institution?
We allow students to register after they see an academic advisor.

If you do, what is your process for overriding the prerequisite?
If it's a transfer student, an unofficial transcript is used for advising purposes, and a comment is placed on the student record (SPACMNT in Banner).  If a special permission from a department, administrative assistants have access to the override form (SFASRPO in Banner).  They provide overrides as needed depending on the situation and also a comment in SPACMNT is placed on the student record.
As soon as all grades are posted for the current term, our office runs SFRRGAM (job in Banner) for a list of students enrolled in courses who didn't meet requirements.  The review of this report is a long manual process to drop students from the courses.  We also notify students via email.

What do you collect if as proof of enrollment?
If a transfer student, a hold is placed, but student must submit official transcript before the end of the semester.

Lorena Rios
Assistant Registrar - Office of the Registrar
Laredo Community College
Memorial Hall, Room 103
West End Washington Street  * Laredo, Texas 78040
Phone: 956.794.4505  *  Fax: 956.764.5974
lorenar at laredo.edu<mailto:lorenar at laredo.edu>

 [palomino2012-new-email_sm]