[TACRAO] Listserv Bacterial Meningitis

Griffith, Becki bgriffit at lee.edu
Wed Nov 20 19:13:06 CST 2013

I was not at this session in El Paso, but it's always been my understanding that the exemption docs (affidavits and now the form junior colleges can elect to use) are NOT to be shared between institutions because DSHS is tracking the specific institutions where a student plans to request exemption.  An affidavit is only valid when original.

So, no institution should be accepting any exemption request document that is not original.

As to how documents are filed (keeping paper vs. imaging and then destroying originals), that is the institution's prerogative.

Regarding the shot records themselves, I don't believe that we should be required to share these with other institutions.  I believe the student owns the record and should be responsible for presenting the original (or an acceptable image with a statement indicating it is authentic) to each institution he or she wishes to attend.  The only time we will accept a shot record from another institution is when that institution was the shot provider (i.e. an institution with a school-sponsored clinic) - but we still expect the student to provide it.

Becki Griffith
Registrar and Director of Admissions
Lee College
PO Box 818, Baytown, TX  77522
281.425.6399 (voice)  281.425.6831 (fax)