[TACRAO] Listserv Differential Tuition

Charles Kettlewell Charles.Kettlewell at utsouthwestern.edu
Wed Nov 20 10:44:25 CST 2013

Vicki,

While we are not a community college, UT Southwestern Medical School charges a differential tuition for three of our programs - two of which are in the Health Professions/Allied Health arenas.  We assess the differential tuition for our Master of Physician Assistant Studies (PA), Doctor of Physical Therapy (PT), and Doctor of Biomedical Engineering (BME - which is a joint degree program with UT-Arlington).  In the case of the PA and PT programs, the differential tuition was justified with the additional income going directly to the respective departments' budgets because the faculty salary ranges were substantially below the going rates for professionals in those areas.  In short, we were losing excellent faculty in those areas to much more lucrative options in the practice markets.  The BME differential tuition was justified largely because UT-Arlington was charging the differential tuition for all of their engineering curricula and we needed to keep the charges consistent within the curricula between the two schools.  In all cases, students were given an opportunity to weigh in on the decisions to charge the differential tuition additions and they unilaterally agreed.

Chuck

Chuck Kettlewell
Registrar and Director of Student Financial Aid
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9096
Phone - 214-648-3606
Fax - 214-648-3289