[TACRAO] Listserv Legislative Update

Rexroat, Jodie jrexroat at mail.smu.edu
Mon Oct 30 14:46:55 CDT 2023

TACRAO!  Welcome to Denton!

Everybody hyped after the celebration luncheon?

I wanted to provide a legislative update of several things that have occurred in the last week.

It may have been more difficult than the cardinals selecting the next pope and with may more rest breaks but the US House managed to agree, at least for a moment in time, on a new Speaker, Mike Johnson (R-LA).  He squeaked by with a vote of 220-209.  He has already proposed a progressive plan to pass all the appropriations bills before the fiscal Continued Resolution runs out on November 17th and we once again face the possibility of a government shutdown.

Last Wednesday, the Department of Education announced final regulations to enhance oversight and accountability for institutions of higher education and strengthen consumer protections for student borrowers.  The fiscal rules will focus on four areas: financial responsibility, administrative capability, certification procedures and ability to benefit.  Rules are expected to be published in the federal register on October 31, 2023 with the rules taking effect on July 1, 2024.

Of particular interest in the new rules will prohibit an institution from withholding a transcript for a student whose courses were completed using federal financial aid, will require institutions to clearly lay out financial aid letters and distinguish between scholarships and loans and will establish a clear process for access to Federal Aid for students who do not have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent.

We have long been awaiting new rules to be released regarding Title IX and the latest estimate had been October but here we are with one day left in the month and still now rules!  So if they don’t release them by tomorrow…then they will have to wait another year before they can put them into effect.  So instead of July 2024, they would not go into effect until July 1, 2025.

Back at home in the Great State of Texas, the third called session continues in Austin.  There has not been much movement on the bills we have identified except for SB 7 which would ban vaccine mandates for private employers.  That bill has passed both houses and it awaiting on agreement to changes made in the House before it transitions to the Governor’s desk.

This marathon 88th Legislative session will eventually end as all entertaining things do as will my time on the incredible Legislative Issues Committee.

This email will be my swan song, my death scene, my final adieu, I could continue to be overly dramatic but I’ll give you a few minutes of your time back 😊  It has been an honor to serve on this committee ( I’ve lost count of how long) and to serve as its chair.  The lessons and knowledge I have learned through committee work are priceless.  So, shameless TACRAO plug, get involved and fill out the I’m available form - I’ve made it easy for you…. Click here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.tacrao.org_get-2Dinvolved&d=DwIGaQ&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqe5YAXYFhHfS54cn-lLqj54&m=ZozkDNlDQIBKZvkEp0Kf8UKksoE0GyUV83KWHSxv5926YmNbFg3ZG4FMKfMI4L9A&s=_2T__mVt4wfOAg9lyXEU3oHbVdSovtRQXyPBRVm30tE&e= >.

[cid:image001.png at 01DA0B3F.228249A0]
Peace Out from your Legislative Issues Chair,
Jodie

Jodie Rexroat
Manager, Degree Programs and Services
Division of Enrollment Services