[TACRAO] Listserv Legislative Bill Update

Rexroat, Jodie jrexroat at mail.smu.edu
Sat Apr 1 18:55:36 CDT 2023

Attached you will find the updated copy of the legislative bills we are following this session.   Note: If you receive the digest version of the list serve, I'm not certain attachments come through but feel free to email me directly if you would like a copy.

This week we saw the first 8 higher education bills passed from the first chamber to the second.

HB 584: Relating to the development of a state information technology credential offered by public junior colleges to address shortages in the state information resources workforce.

SB 10: Relating to benefits paid by the Teacher Retirement System of Texas.

SB 15: Relating to requiring a student of a public institution of higher education who competes in intercollegiate athletic competitions to do so based on the student's biological sex.

SB 25: Relating to support for nursing-related postsecondary education, including scholarships to nursing students, loan repayment assistance to nurses and nursing faculty, and grants to nursing education programs.

SB 65: Relating to excluding the furnishing of an academic transcript from the definition of "information service" for purposes of sales and use taxes.

SB 159: Relating to education requirements for an applicant to take the uniform CPA examination.

SB 371: Relating to the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program.

SB 458: Relating to the authorization for and approval of certain nursing programs offered by private postsecondary educational institutions or for-profit entities.

I expect business will pick up even more next week.

Jodie Rexroat, Chair Legislative Issues Committee

Jodie Rexroat

Manager, Degree Programs and Services

Division of Enrollment Services

Southern Methodist University