[TACRAO] Listserv Student Procedures for COVID-19

Matthew S. Hebbard mshebbar at southtexascollege.edu
Tue May 26 11:34:33 CDT 2020

Good morning TACRAOans,

I hope everyone is doing well during this difficult time.  Have any of your institutions developed procedures yet for students who test positive for COVID-19?  I have learned in my calls to our local county health departments that the state Department of Health receives all COVID-19 swab tests and handles contact tracing.

Has anyone discussed what you will do when you have a positive student case on-campus?  In the past with TB, the County Health offices notify us and by then have already worked with the student to self-quarantine.  Does anyone know if this process will be similar for COVID-19 and what we will need to inform other faculty and students?

If a student self-discloses, will you be counseling the student to self-isolate and seek medical advice or will you mandate it? If you mandate, how will you enforce it?

Thank you for your insights.

Matt

Matthew S. Hebbard
Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
South Texas College
3201. W. Pecan
McAllen, TX 78501
956.872.2147 (Office)