[TACRAO] Listserv [External] Residency Question

Irene Robinson IRobinson at alvincollege.edu
Wed Oct 30 15:13:56 CDT 2019

**External Email**

Hi David,
Great question - one we have mulled around for some time.  Our conclusion is that we would not classify the F-1 student as eligible under SB-1528/HB-1403 as the residency affidavit required for resident tuition is at best problematic for F-1 visa applicants.   F-1 students are individuals who are in the country for a fixed period of time and who do not intend to become residents of the U.S.

Specifically, the F-1 visa applies to "an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning their home country, and who seeks to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study."

If the student has submitted an affidavit stating an intent to become a permanent resident of the U.S. in accordance with Texas requirements, the F-1 federal guidelines will be difficult to meet.  It becomes quite difficult to reconcile an intention to become a permanent resident of the U.S. with an intention to be in the U.S. temporarily and return to one's country.

So, long answer short David - we would not.

Thanks.

Irene Robinson
Registrar
Admissions & Registrar's Office

Alvin Community College
3110 Mustang Road
Alvin, TX 77511
Tel: 281.756.3501 |Fax: 281.756.3834
irobinson at alvincollege.edu<mailto:irobinson at alvincollege.edu>
www.alvincollege.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.alvincollege.edu_&d=DwMFAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=5cwyr3ZZzjmRsIsXglBYqQ&m=ffW9ufGIupNyZGqcpsuXR6p6R7KdRKkFilqB_tTD_5Q&s=NnxPSU5qaBj3scDIUL4cT_qptlLcgE0GeaT0PgTklwg&e=>

[Email-Signature_v1]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may contain confidential student information. Unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited under the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C.*1232g; 34 CFR Part 99). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.