[TACRAO] Listserv Requests for Directory Information

Troy G. White tgwhite at etbu.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:52:40 CST 2018

All,

A few questions...

1.       Does your institution have a specific policy regarding the release of directory information in terms of to whom such information may be released?

a.       If so, would you mind sharing (you may email me directly)?

2.       FEPRA does not require that we release the information, but are there any other "open records" regulations that may supersede that?

3.       Do you have a standard response to those requests that are denied?

a.       If so, would you mind sharing?

I am receiving a significant increase in random requests for directory information for all currently enrolled students from individuals for "research."  I have even received one request from what appeared to be a fake and/or international website claiming to be an attorney in Houston.  I feel pretty confident in my thoughts and responses, but I simply would like to hear from my colleagues on the matter to ensure I am making sound decisions.

Thank you for your assistance.

[Signature]
Troy G. White, M.Ed.
University Registrar
One Tiger Drive, Marshall, TX 75670
903-923-2060

[etbu logl]

Confidentiality Notice:  This email message, including files and attachments, is intended only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or personal information.  Individual recipients of this email message are expected to honor the internal and confidential nature of the email and not forward it via the Internet or by any other means to persons who are not listed as addresses without proper authorization.  If you are not an intended recipient of this email, do not save, disclose, print, forward or copy this email, and delete it immediately.  Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the recipient is unauthorized and may be a violation of federal and/or state law and regulations.

This e-mail, including files and attachments, is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information of East Texas Baptist University. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing, or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.