[TACRAO] Listserv Wintermester

Scott Branum tbranum at gc.edu
Thu Mar 30 10:41:44 CDT 2017

Diana,

We always offer a "Winter Mini" for our students.  We typically begin the mini just before we end our fall term, and end it just prior to the start of our spring term.  It is typically 4 to 5 weeks in length.

We make sure the census date is on a date we are open, so schedule changes, drops for non-payment, and roster discrepancies are taken care of before we close for the break.  If a student chooses to withdraw during the break (after census) and we need to do any manual processing or adjustments, we take care of it after we come back from break.

One more note about the census - per THECB definition, the census for the course must be on a day the Registrar's Office is open (see the excerpt below from the THECB definitions page).

Census Date The official day of record that public higher education institutions must determine
the enrollments that qualify to be reported to the Coordinating Board for state reimbursement.
Also referred to as Official Reporting Date (ORD). For fall and spring semesters, it is the 12th
class day. For summer semesters, it is the 4th class day. The count of class days begins on the
first day that classes are held in the term and includes each calendar day on which classes are
normally held at the institution (e.g., Monday through Friday) until the official census date is
reached. The official census day must be on a day that the Registrar's office is scheduled to be
open so that a student will be able to drop or withdraw from class.

Source: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/1316.PDF
--
Scott Branum
Director of Admissions/Registrar