[TACRAO] Listserv Question regarding Alternate Names at Graduation

Lothringer, Robert rlothringer at mail.twu.edu
Fri Jun 12 12:33:49 CDT 2015

This is the exact same for TWU.

Bobby Lothringer
University Registrar
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425559
Denton, Texas  76204

Phone:  940-898-3031
Fax:  940-898-3097
E-mail:  Rlothringer at twu.edu<mailto:Rlothringer at twu.edu>

From: tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu [mailto:tacrao-bounces at tamuc.edu] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Rhodes
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 12:32 PM
To: tacrao at tamuc.edu
Subject: Re: [TACRAO] Listserv Question regarding Alternate Names at Graduation

Angela,

In my experience, drawing a hard line in the sand on diploma names tends to diminish the impact of its receipt.  I have had students request inclusion of maiden names, or use of a previous or future name that has not legally been changed yet.  As long as it is not a title, inappropriate nickname, or undocumentable moniker, I have allowed it.  Remember that the diploma is a ceremonial document.  The only official record of the granting of a degree is the official transcript. As a result, I have been flexible, within reason, on the diplomas.

JHR

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D0A50C.083A6660]
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
RIO GRANDE VALLEY

UTRGV.EDU

Jeff Rhodes, Ed.D.
University Registrar
956-665-7123 * jeff.rhodes at utrgv.edu<mailto:jeff.rhodes at utrgv.edu>

Brownsville * Edinburg * Harlingen

Run with perseverance the race set before you!