[TACRAO] Listserv Admissions

Sandra Clay sclay at jacksonville-college.edu
Thu Aug 6 16:01:54 CDT 2015

Just some thoughts and questions I'd ask.

   - Does your school have a minimum age limit?
   - Is it for dual credit or has he/she already "graduated?"
   - Online or inseat?
   - ACT or SAT scores that indicate unusual accomplishment?
   - Interview with student and parent to discuss expectations?
   - NOT live in the dorm for sure!  Too much liability.

How is it different from a student who starts taking college classes as a
freshman in high school?  We're entering a world with permeable boundaries
and virtually no distinction between high school and college. I think we
have to ask the questions that focus on educational readiness in both
academic preparation and maturation level.

And there are precedents.  Just google 11, 12, 13 year old college
graduates and see how many hits come up.  Samples:

   - Jay Luo (born 1970), received his B.Sc.
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Science> from Boise State
   University <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_State_University> with
   honors in mathematics at the age of 12 to become the youngest university
   graduate in United States history.[11]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies#cite_note-11>[12]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies#cite_note-Stanley_Benbow_1983-12>

   - Ruth Lawrence <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Lawrence> (born
   1971), passed the Oxford University
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_University> interview entrance
   examination in mathematics, coming first out of all 530 candidates sitting
   the examination at the age of 10. At the age of 13 she became the youngest
   to graduate from the University of Oxford in modern times.[4]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies#cite_note-Bell-4>

   - Jason Levy (born 1972), began York University in Toronto in 1982 at
   age 10. Graduated with Specialized Honours B.A. in Mathematics at 14.[13]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies#cite_note-13>Received
   his M.Sc. (Mathematics) from the University of Toronto in 1987 at age 15.
   Completed his PhD in Mathematics at University of Toronto in 1993 at age 20.

​Not your standard folks, but it can be done. . . . So, no one right answer.

Sandra Clay
​Director of Admissions
Jacksonville College​
​