[TACRAO] Listserv More: Forged academic transcript

Hall, John A. (University Registrar) jhall at mail.smu.edu
Wed Mar 19 11:25:54 CDT 2014

Bobby,
This may be common knowledge, but some of our younger TACRAO professionals may not know that there is a Texas statue related to academic records fraud. It is SB 302, Chapter 675 Acts of the 61st Texas Legislature 1969 in Regular Session. You can find it by going to
http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/legis/billSearch/text.cfm?legSession=61-0&billtypeDetail=SB&billNumberDetail=302&billSuffixDetail=&startRow=1&IDlist=&unClicklist=&number=100

When I attended my first TACRAO in 1972 I was told that TACRAO had a major role in getting this act passed, although I'm sure that Charlie Bay, Don Cates and Don Renner had urged the legislature to include a public whipping in addition to the fine and confinement.

I've pasted the law below. We include a reference to it in our catalog.

John
CRIMES-ACADEMIC RECORDS-FRAUDULENT USE
CHAPTER 675 48
S. B. No. 302
An Act relating to the acquisition, disposition, creation, or alteration of certain
documents and Instruments used or conferred by institutions of education;
providing for a penalty; and declaring an emergency.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Texas:
Section 1. No person may buy, sell, create, duplicate, alter, give, or
obtain, or attempt to buy, sell, create, duplicate, alter, give, or obtain a
diploma, certificate, academic record, certificate of enrollment, or other
instrument which purports to signify merit or achievement conferred by
an institution of education in this state with the intent to use fraudulently
such document or to allow the fraudulent use of such document.
Sec. 2. A person who violates this Act or who aids another in violating
this Act is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction is punishable
by a fine of not more than $1,000, and/or confinement in the county
jail for a period not to exceed one year.
Sec. 3. The importance of this legislation and the crowded condition
of the calendars in both Houses create an emergency and an imperative
public necessity that the Constitutional Rule requiring bills to be read
on three several days in each House be suspended, and this Rule is hereby
suspended; and that this Act take effect and be in force from and after
its passage, and it is so enacted.
Passed the Senate on April 18, 1969: Yeas 25, Nays 0; passed the
House on May 24, 1969: Yeas 136, Nays 0.
Approved June 12, 1969.
Effective June 12, 1969.