[TACRAO] Listserv Revoking a degree

Jeff Rhodes rhodesjh at utpa.edu
Wed Jun 12 14:03:10 CDT 2013

Jerry, it would have to be a pretty big error to rescind the degree if it was on our part.  How long ago did this occur? Did the error put them above a 2.0 (or the minimum required GPA)?  Was it an honest mistake?  Or was there some kind of fraud or academic misconduct involved?  How did it come to our attention?

For a single grade error, we would most likely let it go and document that we chose to take that action and leave the degree posted.

THEN, we would fully assess our end-of-semester process to figure out where we went wrong so we can fix it.

Short answer - penalizing the student for our error is an invitation to get sued.

JHR

Jeff Rhodes, Ed.D.
University Registrar
University of Texas-Pan American
1201 West University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539
956.665.3109
www.utpa.edu/registrar<http://www.utpa.edu/registrar>

"If you don't like change, you'll like irrelevance even less."
-Author Unknown