<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"
<body><table rules="all" style="border-color: #666;"
<td colspan="2">SARA-RM Nightly Observing Report</td>
<td>Martha A. Leake</td>
<td>Valdosta State University</td>
<td><strong>Other Observers: </strong></td>
<td><strong>Date (mm/dd/yy): </strong></td>
<td><strong>Instrument Used: </strong></td>
<td><strong>Hours Observed: </strong></td>
<td><strong>Hours Lost: </strong></td>
<td>Clouds, Software / Control PC Failure, Other</td>
<td><strong>Observing Program: </strong></td>
<td>Asteroid photometry and Jupiter images</td>
<td><strong>Nominal track rate, filter(s), ambient temp and
<td>Sidereal tracking. U filter for Jupiter, Cousins R for 1428
Mombasa. Focus 97048 at 5.8 C and 96892 near 6.6 C.</td>
<td><strong>Problems encountered, if any: </strong></td>
<td>Received training yesterday, and there were learning curves
to climb, still. Noticed that setting the filter on the telescope
computer didn't reflect the same value on the camera computer.
Observed Landolt field, then Juputer, then asteroid. After several
hours of successful observation of asteroid to 3:00 west, went to M57
in east, but the declination didn't change, and RA was sluggish in the
slew, starting off quickly, then slowing as if nearing a limit.
Objects were near zenith; Dec remained 15 degrees, as it was for the
asteroid. Thinking this was an example of something Dan mentioned on
4/10, I used the wrong button to try to reset/"toggle" declination,
using the menu connector at top left instead of the on/off switches at
bottom left, thus not fixing any problems. Tried other objects, with
same outcome. Went to zenith home (HA 0 and Dec 28), but by then the
red lights in the corners were lighting up, so I was convinced that
the ACE Node connector needed to be reset. I did shut the dome
successfully, but not mirror covers, and did not reach zenith park.
I sent texts and emails as suggested. Brian from ACE came to the
rescue and extracted me from the confusion (considerable), ultimately
closing the mirror covers, enabling the telescope to go to zenith, and
allowing me to exit, not so gracefully. On the bright side, Jupiter
looks great in U; just adjust scale to log to see moons and planet.
Another puzzle: plenty of light was received in the flat setting even
though mirror covers were declared closed (button was hidden); perhaps
the framework allows that with the open shutter, or maybe they opened
automatically, then closed...Also, I tried to change the binning to
2x2, but wasn't successful.<br />
Pointing wasn't bad. Tracking was fine; not too much total drift of
the field during the 5 hours of tracking. Weather turned out rather
nice, but some cirrus above and haze near horizon. Autofocus was
<td><strong>Suggestions for improvements: </strong></td>
<td>The ACE node information can be found in previous ACE
software information with SARA-N. The UT listed for ORM in the manual
p. 12 should be corrected on the next copy.</td>
<td class="footer" height="61" align="left" valign="middle"
<p style="font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; margin: 0;
line-height: 16px; padding: 0;">This email was built and sent using <a
style="font-size: 12px;">Visual Form Builder</a>.</p>