[Sara-Reports] SARA-CT Nightly Observing Report

Gillam, Stephen D. GILLAMS1 at erau.edu
Sat Jul 28 16:59:13 CDT 2018

Bill,

Thanks.

Steve Gillam

________________________________
From: Keel, William <keel at ua.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2018 5:26:58 PM
To: Gillam, Stephen D.
Cc: sara-reports at tamuc.edu
Subject: Re: [Sara-Reports] SARA-CT Nightly Observing Report

On Jul 28, 2018, at 3:19 PM, Stephen Gillam <Gillams1 at erau.edu<mailto:Gillams1 at erau.edu>> wrote:

Those flat-field patterns occur in both our Andor cameras, which makes me think they are caused by
something like the chip-thinning process. No way to get rid of them, but the amplitude drops rapidly to
longer wavelengths. If you have a small target of interest, it may help to fish it into the uniform regions
newer the structured stripes. Otherwise, use the longest-wavelength filter possible when there is a choice.
The good news is that they are very nicely corrected in flat fields as long as you can get a good color match
for bluer filters (U can be a problem since there is not much as blue as the twilight sky).

Bill Keel

William C. Keel                                        205-348-1641 (office)
Professor, Physics and Astronomy      205-348-5051 (fax)
Box 870324                                              205-348-5050 (dept.)
University of Alabama                             https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__astronomy.ua.edu_keel&d=DwIFAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=YOTRq01KpCKCeuVmK6YHaZpdkTJmABcEvt7TXktF7Cc&m=-bGsLeJ3ICy0sIYRvHZDXfqg7rUrPxYCs24EC16qbek&s=PZExgJ0fZWLcmzVTiINj42g-CLFtphrOW3vX7gbtWXI&e=
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0324, U.S.A.    wkeel at ua.edu<mailto:wkeel at as.ua.edu>