[Sara-Reports] SARA-CT Nightly Observing Report

Keel, William keel at ua.edu
Sat Jul 28 16:26:58 CDT 2018

On Jul 28, 2018, at 3:19 PM, Stephen Gillam <Gillams1 at erau.edu<mailto:Gillams1 at erau.edu>> wrote:

Those flat-field patterns occur in both our Andor cameras, which makes me think they are caused by
something like the chip-thinning process. No way to get rid of them, but the amplitude drops rapidly to
longer wavelengths. If you have a small target of interest, it may help to fish it into the uniform regions
newer the structured stripes. Otherwise, use the longest-wavelength filter possible when there is a choice.
The good news is that they are very nicely corrected in flat fields as long as you can get a good color match
for bluer filters (U can be a problem since there is not much as blue as the twilight sky).

Bill Keel

William C. Keel                                        205-348-1641 (office)
Professor, Physics and Astronomy      205-348-5051 (fax)
Box 870324                                              205-348-5050 (dept.)
University of Alabama                             https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__astronomy.ua.edu_keel&d=DwIFAg&c=oqyuZuih6ykib6aKiBq22_bich4AVfYGoLertJN0bEc&r=YOTRq01KpCKCeuVmK6YHaZpdkTJmABcEvt7TXktF7Cc&m=fHjhXYgBTVYEP6PReK1rZpcUkZqq3dP4L-gv2VumFUY&s=rv_eK1Dlp409rvTFGTypMBVaU9FU8uepsDWYxA53v6k&e=
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0324, U.S.A.    wkeel at ua.edu<mailto:wkeel at as.ua.edu>